Days ridden: 60
Rest Days: 6
Miles traveled so far: 4,086
Hills climbed: too many
Altitude gain: ?

I entered the stops of my route in Microsoft's map.live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=3A01ED3CB8400EC5%21201

the same in maps.google.com
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103003659586247200591.00044cf9f55d6faada5bb

Click here for the cast of characters
http://mybiketrek.blogspot.com/2008/06/cast-of-characters-not-yet-complete.html

Day Four - June 24 to Waterville, Wa

Today I rode for 45 miles. That seems a little on the low side since I'll have to average 63.666 miles a day to cover the 3800 miles in 60 riding days. So, for every light day now I will have to pay later. Nevertheless, it seemed like the 45 miles would just fly by and the first 35 miles did. So, I did whatever sight seeing was possible. Notice the photo in the candy factory.


The Aplets candy factory

But then came a 7 miles hill, climbing about 2500 feet. It doesn't sound like a lot, but if you consider, for those of you who know beacon hill which is 1/2 mile long, this was steeper, 7% grade, and 14 times longer. And... it's the beginning of the ride so I still have my LI legs. It went well though, I dropped into the "granny gear" and just took my time and spun up the hill with Beethoven's 9th playing on my iPod to push me along.

The terrain is interesting. Today was a day of change. I started in the Cascades, green and wet with an abundance of rain, rivers, streams and snow runoff, moved to a area wet in the lowlands and dry in the hills, and ended in a desert, where is you did not know you were in Washington, you would think you were in Arizona, New Mexico or Nevada.


Cascades


Changing


Changing


Desert

The scenery is just wonderful, watching it pass slowly. It is so much different then my drives through beautiful country wizzing by at automobile speeds. Plus I stop at every ooo and ahhh site. I was thinking today that I would love to convey the feeling and the experience of every minute of the ride to you, but I don't know how. So I'll just have to be satisfied with a small sample of the hundreds of pictures I've taken. I think I need a helmet cam with unlimited bandwidth. Of course that would bore the heck out of every one.

Thanks to everyone who added comments, I love reading them!

And, thanks to Bruce and Cathy Clark at the Artisan Bakery in Waterville, Wa for the use of their wireless connection to go alone with their wonderful coffee and cranberry scone. Yummy! When in Waterville, you know where to stop. www.theBRooster.com.

Blogging at the Artisan Bakery in Waterville Wa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the temperature in the desert?
Is it the proverbial "dry heat"?

Jay

Anonymous said...

So those are the aplets running on my computer...I wondered what they look like. btw the "shower cap" is very becoming :)

Jay 1 mo' time

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates and pictures. Say Hi to my wife Margaret for me. I check in with her every day.

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree the shower cap is very fetching. Did you taste those applets? I remember they aren't so delicious...are you losing weight? The photos are very good, they help describe the terrain you are going thru. Looking forward to hearing about the Blackfeet reservation...

kitkat9 said...

Sol, You are fortunate to have already been through Wenatchee and Waterville. Our temperatures for the last two days have been hovering around 100 degrees midday. Good luck on the rest of your bike trip. I'm keeping the blog up to read about the progress of the group. Cathy at the Bakery