
Straight road

Wheat fields

Down to Moses Coulee where I almost hit a deer who ran along side me and decide to cross the road right in front of me. I tried getting a picture but he said he doesn't do blogs.

Moses Coulee

Abandoned school house

Dust Devils - mini tornadoes

Close up of a wheat plant.
Last night I had a long conversation with a wheat farmer. I'd tell you his name but I forgot to ask his permission so I won't. He owns 2,000 acres of which he plants half one year and lets the other rest and absorb moisture for the next year. The wheat fields here are not irrigated because there is no water source for irrigation. They grown a lighter variety of wheat that is more suited for Asian style noodles then for bread which requires a high gluten content. So when you buy imported Japanese noodles in New York, chances are the wheat came from Washington State.
He also told me that there is a program to grow wheat in pots in Central Park. He figures it will be the most expensive wheat anywhere.

George

Russell
George and Russell drive the truck and trailer carrying our bags. They are our support bringing food and snacks and lunch along the way and in the evening and morning. They are the reason I can ride!!!
Thanks George!
Thanks Russell!
4 comments:
We met yesterday and are following along on your adventure now.
A few tech specs:
Moses Coulee cuts into the "Waterville plateau" in Douglas County, Washington. It is to the west of and roughly parallel to the more famous Grand Coulee. The mouth of Moses Coulee discharges into the Columbia River at the Great Gravel Bar of Moses Coulee, a National Natural Landmark which was designated a landmark because it is one the largest examples of bars created by outburst floods of Lake Missoula over the Channeled Scablands of Washington. (Coordinates: lower coulee- 47°22′30″N, 120°00′00″W middle coulee 47°27′30″N, 119°48′00″W upper coulee - 47°37′30″N, 119°42′00″W ).
Mrs. pazooter adds, a "coulee" is: The dry, braided channels formed by glacial drainage of the Scablands of eastern Washington, especially that of the Grand Coulee and the dam named for it. See Missoula Floods for more information.
Moses Coulee...I think I went to school with him...I knew him as Moish...and anyhow ...why did the deer cross the road? Great pix, and travelogue..I'm living vicariously..keep on pumping...btw...did u catch Emily Latella's comment from day 1
Jay
coulee equals gully.......it's all good!!
Post a Comment