Days ridden: 60
Rest Days: 6
Miles traveled so far: 4,086
Hills climbed: too many
Altitude gain: ?

I entered the stops of my route in Microsoft's map.live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=3A01ED3CB8400EC5%21201

the same in maps.google.com
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103003659586247200591.00044cf9f55d6faada5bb

Click here for the cast of characters
http://mybiketrek.blogspot.com/2008/06/cast-of-characters-not-yet-complete.html

Riding Day Fifty One– August 16 to Palmyra, New York

Today was a beautiful ride along the Erie Canal. The trail is mostly crushed stone appropriate for road bikes and narrow tires. The weather was beautiful too. The Erie Canal is mostly used for recreation now. Tour barges, private boats, kayaks, canoes and paddle boats ply the waters. Many towns along canal have refurbished their water’s edge with new restaurants and tourist welcome areas. Most have room for boats to tie up and visit the town.


The Daily Horse


Larry took this of me


Erie Canal tug boat


Along the canal


Towing his young daughter – her first time on the water


Deer along the way


A nice place to stop for lunch


Some of us


A couple relaxing along the canal


Boating signs


This is the way to travel the canal


Between Pittford and Fairport


Fairport


I met Bill on his trike and chatted about the merits of different bike styles


Striking


Ken and Nancy, the way they ride most of the time

********* End of Day Entry **********

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a wonderful few days you've had. The photos are really lovely, and those butterflies...!
Riding along the Erie Canal looked to be something even I could do, tho I might fall in the water while I was looking at all the pretty views! See you soon, Elaine

Anonymous said...

I'll second Elaine's thoughts..Great pix..Niagara Falls, the rapids, the Erie Canal...good eye..good feel for what you're seeing..keep up the good work..Jay

BobB said...

I enjoyed meeting you and your group in Fairport, Solomon, and talking about bikes and your trip. Your journey certainly in an inspiration, and your pictures -- both these and earlier ones -- are indeed interesting. I hope you have a good trip through the mountains of NY, VT, and NH.
Bob (not Bill) on the green Catrike