Cindy hit a curb that was hiding in the blinding morning eastern sun and shade. The curb was built out into the parking lane. John followed. Cindy broker her helmet, bruised her hip. John is a bit bruised but ok. They went to the ER and are now back on the ride. I think Cindy had x-rays and/or a catscan.
Tires and tubes exploded and had to be replaced. Rims were fine The bikes are repaired.
For me, today was a special ride. I decided to be last and take my time on the ride. It was a short day, 61 miles, and the riding conditions were perfect. It was one of the few sunny days with temperatures in the 60s and 70s and no or favorable winds. I stopped to enjoy and photograph the sky, clouds, horses, vistas, crops, and anything that caught my eye or ear. I went out of the way to visit St. Charles because it was the only town we would pass all day and I wanted my daily dose of small town America.
I invented the “dally-factor” which is the amount I am willing to dally during the ride. Every minute of the ride I decide whether to stop or continue to ride. The lower the dally-factor the less apt I am to stop. So I increased my dally-factor today and stopped more often then usual.
For the mathematicians: " t = DF * d/r "
Jim (2) has the highest dally-factor in the group. He loves to stop and chat with everyone and anyone.
The Daily Horse. This guy kept between me his white filly no matter where I walked. I told him I wouldn’t compete for her, “not that there’s anything wrong with horses”, but he wasn’t taking any chances.
Vista
It’s a new strain of corn driven by Viagarow
A barn fro 1874 has a modern truck and hay in it
Is is a squash or a melon?
Entering the German influence – Frankenmuth is a Bavarian Town
My riding buddy
and another
I stopped to take this picture and a passing motorist stopped to ask if I needed help.
Mid Western hospitality exists.
The quiet roads – and a good tree to stop at
Vista
A yapping beagle guarding his house
These roadside wildflowers are all along Michigan
A golf course, a picture for Howard
What a day it was. Just perfect
Home for the night
4 comments:
Of course the guy stopped...but not really to see if you were OK. He was with Homeland Security and was alerted by observant natives...think about it...What is a Jew from New York on a bike doing in Middle America photographing dirt? It's all good!
Re: dally formula...Einstein beat you to it.
E=mc squared
where
E= eagerness to dally
m= magic factor (see below for derivation)
c= carbohydrates consumed at breakfast.
The Magic factor is one you pull out of your ass
Beautiful and interesting photos. Your trip is continuing at a fast pace, and you'll be home soon. We should go back and visit some of these places...I grew up in Detroit, but kind of missed the entire rest of the state! Look like a place to explore, especially in the summer. I do remember high drifts of snow in the winter!
Question for all you "anonymous" commenters...why do you remain anonymous? Are you embarassed to be identified with some of the things you "joke" about? Be brave! Identify yourselves! Good luck, Elaine
Elaine,
Which jokes did you like and which did you not?
Post a Comment