Days ridden: 60
Rest Days: 6
Miles traveled so far: 4,086
Hills climbed: too many
Altitude gain: ?

I entered the stops of my route in Microsoft's map.live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=3A01ED3CB8400EC5%21201

the same in maps.google.com
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103003659586247200591.00044cf9f55d6faada5bb

Click here for the cast of characters
http://mybiketrek.blogspot.com/2008/06/cast-of-characters-not-yet-complete.html

Riding Day Forty – August 4 to Manitowoc, Wisconsin

The countryside in Wisconsin is beautiful. This area has rolling hills with dairy farms all along the way. We took quiet county roads that had few cars. The terrain was rolling with surprisingly steep hills, though they were short.

About 15 minutes after I was in from the ride the heavens opened up and the riders who were behind me got soaked, or holed up in ice cream parlors, which are our favorite places to stop and rejuvenate. There’s nothing like a chocolate shake when you’re hot and tired, except maybe for a quart of chocolate milk. I have been filling my insulated water bottle with chocolate milk during the hottest part of the day.

I filled my water bottles last night and put them in a refrigerator to be cool for today, and when I went to reach for water during the ride I discovered that I left the bottles in the fridge. I retrieved my spare bottle from the truck when it passed me and I’ll buy another one at the next bike store.

So far I haven’t lost or broken much; three flats all in one day, one bad tire, one broken rim, 2 lost water bottles, one lost t-shirt and 2 independent socks seemed to have escaped at a laundry somewhere.





The Daily Horse


The Lighthouse on the Lac


guarding the entrance of an estate


A farm house


and the sign that goes with the house


A typical scene along the route


Rolling hills - up and down - That's Jon


First look at Lake Michigan – It felt like I reached a milestone getting here.


So I dipped my tires in Lake Michigan


It stands for something, I guess.


First the black and whites


Then the white and blacks – they sorted themselves


Alfalfa, they tell me. Of course I wouldn’t know if they are right or wrong.


A geodesic dome on Lake Michigan


At least I don't have to milk her


The ferry I take tomorrow from Wisconsin to Michigan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any discrimination between the 2 cow groups? If so I'll call the NAACC.....City Guy

Anonymous said...

In Wisconsin there are approximately 17,000 dairy farms, with just over one million cows that produce an average of 17,306 gallons of milk each, per year....that's 47+ per day...woa! Those cows look like they were slacking...

Anonymous said...

never knew there was a town named Land O' Lakes....and their airport is the LOL Airport..I kid you not..I wonder if there is a BTW or TTFN airport..mmmm....I googled and clipped this from the town's website.."August 16 is the Barefoot Charlie Festival. Music, Food, and Fun Barefoot Brew-Ha too."
I'm flying in to LOL...I always loved a good Barefoot Brew-Ha ....though a good "brew ha-ha" is even better... Maybe they start with small arguments at the "Brew Ha"..and work up to major arguments at the "Brew Ha Ha"..

Anonymous said...

You "lost" a T-shirt?? I can only imagine which one!!......perhaps one of your comrades got as sick of it as we have become. Perhaps those missing socks were taken just to confuse you and cover up the T-shirt caper. When you reach the Atlantic are you going to dip your bike in salt water....I hear that's really good for mechanical stuff. It's all good!