Days ridden: 60
Rest Days: 6
Miles traveled so far: 4,086
Hills climbed: too many
Altitude gain: ?

I entered the stops of my route in Microsoft's map.live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=3A01ED3CB8400EC5%21201

the same in maps.google.com
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103003659586247200591.00044cf9f55d6faada5bb

Click here for the cast of characters
http://mybiketrek.blogspot.com/2008/06/cast-of-characters-not-yet-complete.html

Riding Day Thirteen - July Fourth Going-to-the-Sun Road


Today I rode the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park that ascends from Lake McDonald on the west end of the park to the cross the continental divide at Logan Pass and then down to St Mary. It was the most beautiful ride of my life, in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

As Larry said to me in the crisp, clear early morning - It's a privilege to be able to ride here this morning - It was special, and I was thankful that I had the opportunity and the ability to be ride and climb through the wonderful mountains, streams, vistas and vegetation. If only I could reproduce the sounds and the smells and the energy.





A spectator



Getting ready to climb


And here we go






















The Weeping Wall















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had good weather...I can relate to your frustration at being unable to put it all in words. You may recall I spent a week in the Bob Marshall Wilderness(a little South of you) last summer. There are no roads there and nothing mechanized is permitted in the trails which are 1-2 feet wide....as you would say "who knew horses put one foot in front of the other". When you have a chance get off the road now and then in Montana....no cars, no phones, no wi-fi, no other people and just soak it all in.....then don't even bother trying to explain it to us....ENJOY!!! It's all good...Glenn

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Truly knockout pictures. I'm jealous. What a terrific trip..Jay