Days ridden: 60
Rest Days: 6
Miles traveled so far: 4,086
Hills climbed: too many
Altitude gain: ?

I entered the stops of my route in Microsoft's map.live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=3A01ED3CB8400EC5%21201

the same in maps.google.com
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103003659586247200591.00044cf9f55d6faada5bb

Click here for the cast of characters
http://mybiketrek.blogspot.com/2008/06/cast-of-characters-not-yet-complete.html

Riding Day Thirty Six - July 30 to Winona, Minnesota

Winona is on the Mississippi and Wisconsin is on the other side. So we are deeply into the Northern Mid West. The humidity is here as is the heat.

Today's ride was nice, partially through a very pretty bike trail. We mostly rode together as a group, no one was in a hurry, rain was not threatening and we only needed to ride about 65 miles. So we stopped oftn and ate continually. My appetite is enormous. I weighed myself today, for the first time on this ride. We showered at the YMCA and there was a scale. I've lost about 14 pounds even though I'm eating everything in sight. "We ride so we can eat" seems to be our motto.

Coming into Winona was a 2 mile steep uphill, the kind of hill we haven't seen since South Dakota. It felt good climbing it. I never thought I would want to climb a challenging hill.

I went to a concert at the bandshell in Winona Park on the local lake, performed by the Winona Municipal Band, of about 40 wind and percussion instruments. The whole town was out and it was very pretty.

This seems to be the epitome of the middle America small town.

Big changes today. Dot left us. She completed the 2nd third of the cross country ride this summer and will do the last third when she can. I will miss her, her laughter and her warmth.

Cindy and John joined us and they will be riding until Vermont. Their pictures have been added to the "cast of characters".

And... I dropped my phone and rode over it. It's now in 2 unconnected pieces. But, I have backup.




The Daily Horse - She couldn’t be bothered to stop grazing.


Daniel’s Restaurant in Kasson MN


Daniel is sponsoring the local little league


Kasson’s water tower


Today’s trail


Relaxing not far from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota
Dot's last ride with us on this trip



You dump it we pump it – a truck passing on the road


Water tower in Rochester, Minnesota – also not far from the Mayo Clinic


As American as corn


A typical farm


There are some hills in eastern Minnesota


This section looks more like South Dakota


Winona


Memorial Park, Winona, Minnesota


Memorial Park, Winona, Minnesota



The band shell in Winona, Minnesota


My crash pad for 2 nights

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you were getting tired of Montana but don't you wish you were back there? Just look at the scenery you're presenting to us.....a cesspool truck and a phallic water tower. Hurry home....I think you've had it! Oh no I forgot....it's all good!

Unknown said...

which was you bed the crib or the stuff on the floor

Anonymous said...

re your pic with this caption.."This section looks more like South Dakota".....well, of course it does. You can make anything look like something(huh) with Photoshop....don't for 1 minute think you're fooling me..I'm on to what's going on here......I hear NASA is thinking of recruiting you for the space station if you stay a full 2 months in the basement....as always.... I am the ACT.